Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage in San Diego, CA
If your San Diego property has smoke, soot or fire damage, SERVPRO of Centre City / Uptown is here and ready to help. Oftentimes a house fire is the scariest thing to ever happen to a person. The loss of control is terrifying, and the loss or damage of personal items is deeply troubling and emotional. SERVPRO of Centre City/Uptown makes it our mission to help you restore your property "Like it never even happened."
If a fire does threaten or damage your home, here are a few tips.
1.) Get your home or business boarded up immediately. SERVPRO performs emergency board-ups, and this is paramount to ensuring the safety and protection of your home.
2.) Touch nothing. You don't want to damage any personal items that may be affected by soot by touching them with bare hands. Get latex gloves, or wait for fire cleaning professionals like SERVPRO to help.
3.) File an insurance claim, and get your coverage limits in writing.
4.) Hire an insurance preferred fire cleaning vendor, like SERVPRO. We will bill your insurance company direct, unlike some of our competitors.
If you have a fire and need an emergency board-up, call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 619-583-2133.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (619) 583-2133
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.